1.16.2011

The Power of a Chip

Running.  It's a mental thing.  A stress reliever.  A way to get lost in thought.  My love for running began in middle school after watching my sister...let's just call her legs...run all the time.  As I got older, I realized that running was my outlet.  Stressed? Run. Upset? Run. Seriously worried? Run. Extremely excited? Run. Happiest news ever? Run it out!  While I ran track in high school, I decided to start going on long runs in my neighborhood that may as well be its own city.  I quickly learned that running is an impossible task unless I have my sidekick: my iPod with my nike chip. 

I need music.  Fast music.  Music that makes my heart smile.  Alongside that music is a tiny little chip that tells me everything I need to know about my run.  Calories burnt, distance run, mile pace...the list goes on. It even lets me choose a power song! When I feel myself getting a little tired and I know I don't want to stop, I press the center button, and on comes my power song.  It's a little embarrassing, but that power song is Footloose by Kenny Loggins.

This morning, with my running accessories at my side, I managed to go 6.5 miles without thinking about anything.  It.was.fabulous.  Had my little chip not been plugged in, I would have never known how far I ran.  I then came to this conclusion: I run more than I walk.

Happy Running!

2 comments: